HYBRID AS AN ENVIRONMENTAL APPROACH
In a rapidly changing market, our shipyard intends to position itself as a leader in energy development. We want to participate in the solutions of tomorrow that will be offered on board composite boats around the world. For this reason, Couach has designed the first “hybrid” 40-metre yacht that makes it possible to carry out a transatlantic crossing in perfect autonomy.
The R&D Department is working on the use of new technologies. With this in mind, they decided to recycle an existing spare hull from a 17-meter military vessel to build an experimental & Labotary vessel.
- Test of the ship’s behavior at high speed in different configurations.
- Trim test and hydraulic bench lift
- Data processing and analysis
- Acceleration measurements on structure and seats
- Recovering feedback on the ergonomics of the equipment
- Create and develop partnerships
The rudder is an appendix located under the boat and used to manoeuvre it. Our yachts are equipped with two each. We studied a manufacturing process that could be carried out on site and that would give superior mechanical properties.
- Lighten the rudders which are made of steel (high density)
- Simplify the steering mechanism to facilitate maintenance
- Reduce costs and acquire knowledge
BONDING OF COMPOSITE STRUCTURE
In order to obtain high strength and low weight composite boats, R&D Department designed a new process to assemble the composite hulls and structures.
Structural bonding offers benefits to improve boat performances.
- Apply technology to other assembly (Hull / Deck, Wheelhouse, etc.)
- Design parts to be better bonded
- Improve knowledge about structural loads on boat
The Tank Test is a tool that allows to study the behaviour of model boats that we want to build and observe their drag. Couach compares different hulls to optimize time and expense.
Naval hydrodynamics allow us to study the ship’s resistance while advancing through water. The resistance to advancement corresponds to the thrust force that our propellers will have to produce. The tests are carried out in the tank.
In order to replace the silica wool used in fire protection in engine rooms, Couach is testing new insulating composite materials called “intumescent” materials
- Design, manufacture and select new fire-resistant composite materials
- Setting up a test stand at Rescoll laboratory on a small scale Fire test modeling